Table of Contents
For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – October 2, 2020 – Zacks Value Trader is a podcast hosted weekly by Zacks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here:
Welcome to Episode #208 of the Value Investor Podcast.
Every week, Tracey Ryniec, the editor of Zacks Value Investor portfolio, shares some of her top value investing tips and stock picks.
With the S&P 500 briefly testing a 10% correction, before finishing September down 3.9%, now’s the time to screen for classic value stocks.
Screening for Classic Value
Classic value is the toughest to screen for.
It involves all of the classic value fundamentals including low price-to-earnings, price-to-book, price-to-sales and price to cash flow ratios along with a PEG ratio under 1.0, which indicates both growth and value.
That would limit the screen considerably.
But if you add on the top Zacks Ranks of #1 (Strong Buy) and #2 (Buy), which should mean earnings estimates are on the rise, that will narrow it further.
And to top it off, why not throw on Zacks Value Style Scores of A or B, which are the top style scores.
This screen produced just 9 stocks.
They’re all cheap with top Ranks and Style Scores.
5 Top Classic Value Stocks
1. Anthem, Inc. ANTM is a healthcare insurer with a market cap of $67 billion. Shares are down 11.5% this year due to uncertainty over the future of the ACA, aka Obamacare. It has a forward P/E of 11.6 and a P/S ratio of just 0.6.
2. Cigna Corporation CI is also a healthcare insurer with a market cap of $63 billion. It’s shares are down 17.5% year-to-date. It’s dirt cheap, with a forward P/E of 8.9 and a PEG of 0.8. Is it a buying opportunity ahead of the election?
3. Gray Television, Inc. GTN owns television stations across the United States. Earnings are on the rise thanks to the election, where there will be huge political advertising. It’s dirt cheap with a forward P/E of 5.2. It also has a PEG ratio of just 0.5.
4. Hibbett Sports, Inc. HIBB is trading near its 52-week highs. This specialty retailer is still cheap, however, with a forward P/E of 8.8 and a P/S ratio of just 0.5. With shares up 44.7% year-to-date, does it still have more left in the tank?
5. Meritage Homes Corporation MTH is breaking out to new 5-year highs as the housing industry remains hot. Meritage shares are up 80% year-to-date but are still cheap thanks to rising earnings estimates. It trades with a forward P/E of 11.1 and a P/B ratio of 0.3.
What else should you know about finding classic value stocks right now?
Tune in to this week’s podcast to find out.
Looking for Stocks with Skyrocketing Upside?
Zacks has just released a Special Report on the booming investment opportunities of legal marijuana.
Ignited by new referendums and legislation, this industry is expected to blast from an already robust $6.7 billion to $20.2 billion in 2021. Early investors stand to make a killing, but you have to be ready to act and know just where to look.
See the pot trades we’re targeting>>
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Click to get this free report
Cigna Corporation (CI): Free Stock Analysis Report
Hibbett Sports, Inc. (HIBB): Free Stock Analysis Report
Meritage Homes Corporation (MTH): Free Stock Analysis Report
Anthem, Inc. (ANTM): Free Stock Analysis Report
Gray Television, Inc. (GTN): Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.