Israel approves first new settler homes since suspending annexation

JERUSALEM (Reuters) – Israel approved more than 1,300 new settler homes in the occupied West Bank on Wednesday in the first such go-ahead since it suspended annexation plans in the territory.



a view of a city with tall buildings in the background: FILE PHOTO: A general view shows part of the Jewish settlement of Beit El in the forground near Ramallah in the Israeli-occupied West Bank


© Reuters/Amir Cohen
FILE PHOTO: A general view shows part of the Jewish settlement of Beit El in the forground near Ramallah in the Israeli-occupied West Bank

The decision drew an angry response from Palestinians, who seek to establish a state in the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem.

“We urge the international community to intervene immediately to stop this settlement madness, which destroys any chance for a genuine peace process,” said Nabil Abu Rudeineh, a spokesman for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

The construction could help mute criticism of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu from settler leaders, who are traditional allies.

They had bristled at the annexation suspension that helped pave the way for last month’s deals to forge diplomatic

Read More Read more

Israel Approves First New Settler Homes Since Suspending Annexation | World News

JERUSALEM (Reuters) – Israel approved more than 1,300 new settler homes in the occupied West Bank on Wednesday in the first such go-ahead since it suspended annexation plans in the territory.

The decision drew an angry response from Palestinians, who seek to establish a state in the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem.

“We urge the international community to intervene immediately to stop this settlement madness, which destroys any chance for a genuine peace process,” said Nabil Abu Rudeineh, a spokesman for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

The construction could help mute criticism of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu from settler leaders, who are traditional allies.

They had bristled at the annexation suspension that helped pave the way for last month’s deals to forge diplomatic ties between Israel and the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain.

Israel’s West Bank Civil Administration planning committee gave final approval for building 1,313 housing units in several

Read More Read more

Israel approves first West Bank settler homes since Gulf deals

Israel approved 2,166 new homes in settlements across the occupied West Bank on Wednesday, official figures sent to AFP showed, ending an eight-month lull in settlement expansion. 

The approvals came less than a month after the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain signed agreements to normalise relations with Israel, which in return pledged to freeze its plans to annex swathes of the West Bank.

NGO Peace Now said the settlement uptick signals Israel’s rejection of Palestinian statehood and deals a blow to hopes of a wider Israeli-Arab peace.

It said that around 2,000 more homes are expected to be approved on Thursday.

“Netanyahu is moving ahead at full steam toward solidifying the de facto annexation of the West Bank,” it said in a statement ahead of Wednesday’s decisions.

US President Donald Trump sees the Gulf accords as part of his broader initiative for Middle East peace.

But a controversial plan he

Read More Read more

Library board approves 2021 draft budgets, hears Town Halloween plan

By Spencer Seymour, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter

The St. Marys Public Library board held their monthly meeting last Thursday and among the most important outcomes was the board’s approval of their 2021 draft budget.

The approved draft budget will now be sent to Town of St. Marys staff to be presented to Town Council for their consideration. The draft budget for the adult learning center was also approved by the library board, which did see more notable changes to the library’s budget. One of these changes was a request for a $1,500 funding increase from Stratford to help cover the costs of expanded adult learning services in the city. Earlier this year, the St. Marys adult learning center increased their presence in Stratford from two days to three days, and have expanded their hours of service, thus prompting the request for more funding. Since funding for the St. Marys adult

Read More Read more

Judge In Charge Of Oi Group Recovery Approves Multiple Asset Sale, Including That Of 5 Data Centers Being Executed By Piemonte Holding

SAO PAULO, Oct. 6, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — Fernando Viana, the Rio de Janeiro court judge in charge of Oi Group (OIBR.C) judicial recovery, approved a multiple asset sale of R$22 billion last Monday (5), following Creditors support. The deal includes 5 Data Centers being purchased by Brazilian financial group Piemonte Holding.

Judicial approval of Oi Group asset sale (Data Centers, Oi Mobile and Towers) comes after the creditors general assembly held in September, and a statement from Rodrigo Abreu, CEO of Oi, on Friday, October 2nd, saying that the sale to Piemonte Holding, as well as the others, are a “deal done, with few steps remaining.”

The important approval from Judge Fernando Viana also comes right after a shareholders meeting of Piemonte Holding financial group ensured and expanded support to the acquisition from Oi in Judicial Recovery.

Other than voting on Oi deal support, Piemonte Holding

Read More Read more

Anaheim City Council approves $150-million cash stadium sale to Angels owner

The Anaheim City Council voted early Wednesday to approve a revised deal with Angels owner Arte Moreno, selling Angel Stadium and the surrounding land for $150 million in cash in return for the team’s commitment to stay in Anaheim through 2050.



a sign above a store with Angel Stadium of Anaheim in the background: Angel Stadium in Anaheim. (Danny Moloshok / Associated Press)


© (Danny Moloshok / Associated Press)
Angel Stadium in Anaheim. (Danny Moloshok / Associated Press)

The council had voted last December to sell the 150-acre site to Moreno’s company, SRB Management, for $325 million. The city this month proposed to credit SRB for $170 million of that price, with the company agreeing to build almost 500 units of affordable housing and a seven-acre park within the community that will rise from the stadium parking lots.

After almost eight hours of debate — and after 1:30 a.m. Wednesday — the council approved the revised deal on a 5-2 vote, with Council Members Jose Moreno and Denise Barnes opposed. The council

Read More Read more